Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Typical Mommy Morning

My alarm goes off at 5:55 a.m. I hit the snooze once. Sometimes twice. Bad mornings, three times. By then, Leah is usually up and hangs out in my bathroom while I shower. She likes to brush her teeth or wash her hands a couple dozen times. As soon as my shower is done, Matthew is up, and the morning race begins.
It takes about 20 minutes to get both kids dressed and ready (including brushing Leah's hair, teeth, washing her face and hands). Matthew is usually content playing on my bed with some toys or his sister's hair, but other mornings he likes a small morning bottle to hold him over. After all that, it usually doesn't leave a lot of time for Mommy. I get dressed, brush my hair and teeth and manage to match some shoes to my out and possibly put on a bracelet or two, all in matter of 10 minutes. I leave the house with wet hair and no make-up.
We race out the door to load the car grabbing some items for Mommy's breakfast and lunch on the way from the kitchen. Leah also tends to grab something from the pantry to eat on the way. This morning, she also decided she needed to wear her princess outfit since we were seeing Papa after work. I don’t argue.
Typical conversation loading into the car:
(M) Mommy (L) Leah
M: Leah, please get in your car seat.
L: I need my Lion King? Where’s my Lion King?!
M: You left it at Miss Cristy’s house. We will see it later. Please get in your seat.
L: (stands in the garage and a school bus drives by) Mommy I see a BIG school bus!!! Mommy I hear a bird! Where’s the bird? (walks to the driveway)
M: Leah, please get in your car seat so we can go see Miss Cristy.
L: (climbs in seat and grabs some books from car) Mommy, I read these books. Oh, Mommy, I need that banana! Pleaseeeeeee! (grabs my breakfast banana out of my hand. Guess I am going to Starbucks…)
M: Ok, please don’t open it until we get to Miss Cristy’s house.
L: Ok. Mommy, I need one bracelet! Please! (I hand her one of mine) Thank you. It’s pretty!
Finally, I get in, and we’re off! No, wait, forgot Matthew’s lunch on the counter. Run back in to grab that, and then we’re off!
Holding banana and my bracelet in a princess dress

After a 15 minute drive to daycare, it’s drop off time. By now, Leah has opened her banana and lost my bracelet. Kisses and hugs, and off to work.
Since she claimed my breakfast banana, I stop off at Starbucks. Tall deaf non-fat vanilla latte and spinach, egg white and feta wrap. Deliciously over-priced meal.


On my 40-45 minute drive to work, I get a lot accomplished in the car (at stop lights, of course). I put on my make-up, eat my breakfast, check Facebook a couple times, play Draw Something, check my e-mail, oh and drive to work. My hair usually ends up in a bun looking thing. Very professional.
Although it’s stressful, and exhausting, I wouldn’t change it for a thing. I possibly could get up a bit earlier to dry my hair or put my make up on at home, or eat breakfast before work, but I favor sleep over that. Plus, what would I do in the car then? J Anyone else have a morning rush routine?
(You may also note my work-out is not included in this. If I actually get up at 5:15, I work out first, then start my day, but I am still adjusting to that. Like I said, I favor sleep.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment