Sunday, May 1, 2011

Extreme Couponing... gone wrong

After watching a couple episodes of the new TLC show Extreme Couponing, I have to admit I was a bit inspired to take a little extra time and cut coupons. Some of the people they show (well, almost all) are a bit extreme. They get $1,000 worth of groceries for $10. I say kudos to them but how the heck are they gonna use 100 packets of croutons?? and 50 packets of instant potato mix?? It is a bit unrealistic.

I used to be really good about cutting coupons and purchasing only items that were on sale, but when a baby comes along, necessity comes before saving money sometimes. The baby can't live without diapers and formula!

So, Leah and I walked over to the circle K by our house and purchased a newspaper with the sunday ads and coupons (and an impulse donut that she HAD to have...) I proceeded to cut all the important coupons for items that we actually use. I looked at the grocery ads and wrote out my list. Also, on frys.com, you can actually load coupons directly to your savings card. Brilliant, right?

I then ventured to the grocery store by myself with all of my coupons in hand and my list. Some items I had 3 coupons, which would make the item practically free. I thought to myself "this is not so hard!" I spent only about an hour in the morning organizing everything, whereas the people on the TLC show spend 35-40 hours a week. I have a full time job and a toddler, so that is just completely out of the question. Anywho, the cashier scanned all of my coupons and gave me half of them back and said "these are electronic". I thought "huh, so I can use them again...? FANTASTIC!". Actually, come to find out, the coupons I conveniently loaded onto my savings card were the exact same coupons as the flyer ones. As a double wammy, they were for face value ($0.25, $0.50, etc.) whereas the paper coupons are all marked up to $1.00, no matter face value.

If this is confusing, let me explain: Say I want a box of cereal that is $4.00. I have a coupon loaded onto my "savings" card for $0.50, and I have a coupon that I cut out of a flyer for $0.25. Since I scanned my savings card, it automatically used that electronic coupon first and my cereal is now $3.50, whereas if I was able to use my paper coupon, it would be valued to $1 and my cereal would have only been $3.00. Get my point?

I'm not gonna lie, I almost broke down in my car. I thought I was doing such a great thing for my family, and come to find out I got totally screwed. I actually saved less using the coupons than I usually do just sticking to items on sale.

I now have learned my lesson. DON'T conveniently load coupons to your card.

Now is the time I need a glass of wine. Bah-hum-bug.

0 comments:

Post a Comment